Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Santa, Where's My Sable?

'Tis the season for receiving presents, right? And as you can see in this video of Santa Baby, I am in serious need of a new fur. The one I'm wearing is probably roadkill since it is the raccoon collar from my coat. Ha, ha, ha! I hope I haven't ruffled the fur of all you pro-animal types out there! Ho, ho, ho! :)

But seriously, I think this song is just great...it is from such a bygone era that it seems almost a little camp today. Recorded in 1953 by Eartha Kitt. Redone by Madonna amongst others. Who today, except for the Material girl herself, would have the nerve to ask for so much fancy loot based on having been "an awful good girl?" So I try to sing it with the kind of guts you better have if you're going to be as bold as she is!


Check out my leopard print top. Just seemed to fit the bill for this song. You should see this late 1950s photo of my mother wearing a bikini of similar ilk. Va-va-voom! She was a real looker. Hope you enjoy this song in the spirit of the season.


P.S. I got to play and sing holiday ditties with my friend, Erich, at Mike DaSilva's open studio in Berkeley. Mike's a luthier who builds some awesome ukes. Anyway, we stuck to non-religious holiday songs which are about my speed. Now I can't stop humming "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer." Check back for a photos of this event!

No comments: