Friday, September 28, 2007

What Makes The Playlist

I've been giving some thought as to where to expand my ukulele repertoire. The current playlist has mushroomed from two main sources. The songs may have been distributed in a class or a uke group. Or I may have picked them because most people are comfortable with them in a sing-a-long situation. However, these songs are not particularly representative of the music I listen to on a regular basis. My iPod has a pretty eclectic selection of music, but what is sorely missing from my uke repertoire is a good representation of rock and roll, pop etc.

As you can see from my September 14 post re Todd Rundgren, I definitely rock out. The other day I heard The Hooters on my local radio station, prompting me to pull out their old LP from the mid-'80s. At certain times I can still be a "be-bop baby on a hard day's night," (from their big hit, "And She Danced"). BTW, contrary to what you might think, the band's name comes from an instrument called the melodica...think of a piano keyboard attached to a harmonica. Had one growing up and I might take it up again.

So I vow to stay true to my musical tastes and not let the tail wag the dog as they say. Tin Pan Alley and Hawaiian genres are great, and I'll continue to enjoy them, but they are clearly not all that is out there. And it can be done on a little 4 stringed instrument and taken half-way seriously. If you don't believe me, check out The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain doing "Smells Like Teen Spirit" or Wellington Ukulele Orchestra's rendition of "Hey Ya." They can easily be found on YouTube and are quite lively and musical.

OK, then. I guess this means I better stop here and work out that "Smoke on the Water" riff!

No comments: